Questions and issues using Yahoo Account Key
Yahoo Account Key should make your life easier, but some issues can keep the process from running smoothly. Whether you lost your phone or your apps aren't working, follow these instructions to help fix these problems.
Here's how to restore access to your Yahoo account.
On your new phone:
- Get the same Yahoo app that you were using on your old phone for your Account Key notifications.
- Open the app and tap Sign in.
- On the sign-in page, enter your username and tap Continue.
- The next page says it's waiting for you to approve a notification sent to the old phone.
- On your old phone, view the Account Key code.
- On your new phone, confirm the code from the list displayed then tap Sign in.
Your new phone is ready to receive Account Key notifications!
Not planning to use the old phone again? - Sign out of your account from the Yahoo app that you were using on the old phone then go to the phone’s settings to erase and reset the phone.
- Download the same Yahoo app that you were using on your old phone for your Account Key notifications.
- Open the app and tap Sign in.
- On the sign-in page, tap Can't access your account.
- Follow the instructions in our article for recovering your account using your mobile phone.
If you get a new phone number, but keep using the same phone, follow the steps below.
- Sign in to your Account info page and click your existing number.
- Click Add recovery phone number.
- Enter your mobile number in the space provided.
- Click Send SMS.
- You'll be prompted to either tap or enter a verificaiton code to confirm.
- Click Verify.
Some 3rd party apps, such as iOS Mail, Android Mail, and Outlook, don't work with Yahoo Account Key enabled. To use these apps, you'll need to generate app passwords for them.
- Allow notifications from the app - You're usually asked to do this as soon as you download the app.
- Turn on notifications - Enable notifications in the Yahoo Mail app and from your mobile device.
- Request another notification - Click Resend on the Yahoo page where you're attempting to sign in to generate a new sign-in notification.
Still not getting a sign-in notification? Try this:
- Go to the Yahoo sign-in page.
- Enter in your Yahoo email address | Click Next.
- Click Use text or email to sign in.
- Enter the missing digits of your phone number | Click Submit.
- If you have access to this phone, click Yes, text me an Account Key.
- Don't have access? You'll get the option to verify your alternate email address instead.
- You'll be prompted to either tap or enter a verification code to confirm.
- Click Continue to access your account.
Success, you're back in!
Unfortunately, you can't. Account Key is similar to traditional two-step verification, but there's no memorized password. If you want to be extra cautious, you can turn off Account Key and turn on two-step verification instead.
You must wait 24 hours before trying to sign in because you exceeded the number of text messages allowed per day from Sign In Helper. The first time you sign in to Yahoo the next day, use your Account Key enabled Yahoo app on your mobile phone.